I used to hate mushrooms. It was a vehement hate until one day when I was 21 somebody forced me to try a mushroom rosemary cream sauce. I was instantly hooked, quickly thereafter obsessed and now I can't imagine my life without mushrooms. This recipe is reminiscent of that creamy sauce that seduced me so many years ago. I'm sure there is a way to make this a delicate, silky sauce but I much prefer it potent and full of garlic.
Mushroom Rosemary Fettuccine
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 tbsp earth balance
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups of crimini or white mushrooms
2 cups of soy milk
2 rosemary stalks, finely chopped
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 cup of nutritional yeast (optional)
dash of cayenne (optional)
Sea salt & fresh ground pepper
5-6 ounces of fettuccine, cooked according to package directions
1) Warm oil and earth balance in a heavy skillet over medium high heat.
2) Add garlic and toss for 30 seconds.
3) Add mushrooms, stirring constantly until cooked down more than halfway.
4) Add chopped rosemary and a fair amount of salt and fresh pepper to the mushrooms.
5) Add soymilk and reduce heat to medium.
6) Once soymilk is warm, add lemon juice. This will cause the soymilk to curdle and thicken.
7) Stir in the nutritional yeast and cayenne, if using.
8) Once sauce is warmed through and lightly bubbling, add cooked fettuccine. Toss to coat, adding more soymilk if necessary.
9) Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes
The first time I was offered nutritional yeast on popcorn I looked at my friend like he was crazy. What on earth was that weird yellow stuff...
I created this recipe on Cinco de Mayo to serve with refried beans, fresh salsa and corn chips. Ok, and margaritas. The result was delicious...
Ever since first having this simple dish at The Bye and Bye in Portland, I have become obsessed with eating it as often as possible. It'...
Oh how I love a plate of black eyed peas, brown rice, roasted brussel sprouts and bbq tofu. It is such a comforting combination of flavors a...
I'm convinced that there is no wrong way to make a soup. I rarely start out with a clear intention in mind but as I start chopping and p...
I came up with this spicy spread to add a kick to my TLT sandwich (recipe to follow). I'm working on making my own chipotle sauce but in...
I'm The Spicy Vegan. I love spice in everything I eat and drink, including hot chocolate and cocktails. I live for fresh hot peppers but...
Chick Peas and lentils are easily two of my favorite legumes. I love their versatility in soups, pasta dishes, over rice, pureed for dips an...
I used to hate mushrooms. It was a vehement hate until one day when I was 21 somebody forced me to try a mushroom rosemary cream sauce. I w...
I'm a big believer in making everything from scratch as often as possible. I also believe emergency food can save your day, which is wh...