Ever since first having this simple dish at The Bye and Bye in Portland, I have become obsessed with eating it as often as possible. It's quick, easy and super tasty. There are a lot of ways to dress it up with sauces, side dishes or in a salad but I tend to prefer having it just to munch on as a snack. This a great recipe to use when you are having a tofu craving but haven't marinated anything or just want to make something fast and simple.
Nutritional Yeast Tofu
3 tbsp grapeseed oil (or other neutral tasting oil)
16 oz extra firm tofu, drained and patted dry
2/3 cup nutritional yeast
3/4 tsp of sea salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1. Slice tofu block in half lengthwise and then slice 1/4 inch thick (it'll yield about 16 pieces or so)
2. Mix nutritional yeast, sea salt and paprika in a large airtight glass container and set aside
3. Heat oil in a cast iron skillet on medium high heat
4. Spread 8 pieces of tofu in the oil and cook for five minutes on each side or until lightly golden brown
5. Use a slotted spatula to scoop out tofu, making sure most of the oil is drained (do not place on paper towel) and toss it in spice mixture. Seal container and shake until all pieces are evenly coated. Scoop tofu pieces out of mixture and set aside
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 with remaining tofu
The first time I was offered nutritional yeast on popcorn I looked at my friend like he was crazy. What on earth was that weird yellow stuff...
I created this recipe on Cinco de Mayo to serve with refried beans, fresh salsa and corn chips. Ok, and margaritas. The result was delicious...
Ever since first having this simple dish at The Bye and Bye in Portland, I have become obsessed with eating it as often as possible. It'...
Oh how I love a plate of black eyed peas, brown rice, roasted brussel sprouts and bbq tofu. It is such a comforting combination of flavors a...
I came up with this spicy spread to add a kick to my TLT sandwich (recipe to follow). I'm working on making my own chipotle sauce but in...
I'm convinced that there is no wrong way to make a soup. I rarely start out with a clear intention in mind but as I start chopping and p...
Chick Peas and lentils are easily two of my favorite legumes. I love their versatility in soups, pasta dishes, over rice, pureed for dips an...
I'm The Spicy Vegan. I love spice in everything I eat and drink, including hot chocolate and cocktails. I live for fresh hot peppers but...
Back when I was a teenager I used to work in the mall near an Orange Julius. I was completely obsessed with their drinks, particularly the S...
I recently attended a potluck with an 'un-chicken' theme, in anti-honor of National Chicken Month. Everybody made fantastic dishes s...