I made this the other night with garlic mashed potatoes and miso gravy. Yum! It was really simple to throw together and had just the right amount of spice. I bet this would be good in a sandwich as well.
Spicy BBQ Tempeh
1 package tempeh, cut in half lengthwise and then cut into quarters for a total of 8 pieces
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup hot water
2 tbsp grapeseed oil (or any neutral oil)
1 tbsp spicy chili paste, such as sambal oelek ground fresh chili paste
1/4 cup bbq sauce
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp garlic and onion powder mixture or 1/4 tsp of each
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Bring water to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan. Reduce heat and add sliced tempeh and poach for 10 minutes to increase digestibility and the ability to absorb a marinade.
3. Mix the rest of the ingredients and set aside.
4. Drain tempeh and add marinade to the sauce pan on medium heat. Add more water or soy sauce if tempeh is not mostly covered. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Place tempeh and marinade in an oven-proof glass baking dish, spread out as much as possible
6. Bake in oven for approximately 45 minutes, turning once, until the marinade has been absorbed
Total Prep and Cooking Time: 1 1/2 hours
- I lined my baking dish with parchment paper to make clean up easier
- You could also marinade this overnight before baking for a deeper, richer flavor
The first time I was offered nutritional yeast on popcorn I looked at my friend like he was crazy. What on earth was that weird yellow stuff...
I created this recipe on Cinco de Mayo to serve with refried beans, fresh salsa and corn chips. Ok, and margaritas. The result was delicious...
Ever since first having this simple dish at The Bye and Bye in Portland, I have become obsessed with eating it as often as possible. It'...
Oh how I love a plate of black eyed peas, brown rice, roasted brussel sprouts and bbq tofu. It is such a comforting combination of flavors a...
I'm convinced that there is no wrong way to make a soup. I rarely start out with a clear intention in mind but as I start chopping and p...
I came up with this spicy spread to add a kick to my TLT sandwich (recipe to follow). I'm working on making my own chipotle sauce but in...
I'm The Spicy Vegan. I love spice in everything I eat and drink, including hot chocolate and cocktails. I live for fresh hot peppers but...
Chick Peas and lentils are easily two of my favorite legumes. I love their versatility in soups, pasta dishes, over rice, pureed for dips an...
I used to hate mushrooms. It was a vehement hate until one day when I was 21 somebody forced me to try a mushroom rosemary cream sauce. I w...
I'm a big believer in making everything from scratch as often as possible. I also believe emergency food can save your day, which is wh...